Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

About a month ago Jason and I took two couple friends of ours on the boat for the Joan Jett concert.  They met us at the marina and loaded their stuff up while I was still in our truck trying to hold back a puke from a migraine.  It's usually my job to offload the boat into the water after Jason backs the trailer down, but since Brett was there, I got to just be a passenger and relax with everyone else.  This was NICE.

I noticed in one of the two wake/surfboard holders a wakeboard I had not met yet.  It was black with shiny chrome "stuff" on it.  Since Dustin has his own boat and Brett has been known to own such things even without a boat I asked which one of them it belonged to.  They both shot nervous looks at each other, then their wives joined in.  Finally one of them piped up, clearly annoyed with her hubs.

"He didn't TELL her?"

The boys knew they were caught, and immediately backpedaled with the whole I-told-him-he-should-have-told-you thing.  Jason was still parking the truck.

As he made his way down to the dock and onto the front of the boat sans flip-flops, everyone waited in silence for the bomb to drop.  Eventually one of the guys couldn't take it anymore.

"Dude, she knows.  She noticed like right away, I couldn't lie about it."

Jason has apparently learned quickly from my dad, the master of making purchases without any discussions or decision-making sessions with my mom.  I think his best one ever was rolling in the driveway with a backhoe.  Then he bought a trailer to put it on, then a full size construction dump truck to pull it.  He once tried to get Jason to buy a wood stove for the shop behind my back.  Jason wouldn't do it and Dad was annoyed.  Dad wanted so bad to buy the stove just to "force" him to do it, to stand up to me.  He told Jason it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.  Funny thing is I don't really remember Dad or Jason asking for forgiveness on any deals.

This purchase was no exception.  No begging for forgiveness, only justification.  Something about an awesome deal and blah blah blah.  To be honest, he and his buddies were all trying at once to try to make me feel better about it so I don't even remember what all was said.  I actually wasn't even mad, but man it was fun to watch all three of them squirm.  When all was said and done, who can be upset over such a device that lets one's Prince Charming catch sweet sweet air like this:

...and keeps a smile on his face like this:

PRICELESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment