Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Will You Be My Galentine?

I just completed an incredibly difficult assignment.

I submitted a description of why a certain friend, a special gal....is my Galentine.

But I had to do it in 100 words or less.

I know...right?

First off, I could write a million words about a whole lotta ladies that deserve a special spotlight every day of the year. So many women have my heart in a unique way these days since I've gotten over myself that makes me appreciate the passage of time and makes me say things like "you couldn't pay me to be 22 again".

That's not to discount the men in my life. They're important, too. I value them, I respect them, I treasure friendships and the honest feedback that those brave souls who have stuck it out through tumultuous years with me provide.

But this is not my Palentine.

Here are the 100 words I managed to edit down to, thinking how ridiculous it is to even attempt to condense her into this tiny space:

Emaline. Emmie. Em.
She’s been a sister, soldier, artist, traveler, and runner.  She’s run for a firefighter to drape a Tiffany necklace around her neck at the finish.  She more often runs for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and to remember those we have lost.

She doesn’t just face adversity bravely, she shows us all how to dissect and defeat it.  Though her heart’s been broken open, the love that flows out of her for others is immeasurable.

She knows when to hold on and when to let go. I’m so happy she holds onto me.
She is my Galentine.


She is so much more than these 100 words. She is infinitely more than this to me, to everyone who is lucky enough to know her, to have her in their lives. She's a lifelong friend despite the sands of time and more miles than anyone is happy about. She is loved more than she knows by more people than she realizes.

And so, for this submission assignment, win or lose, I love her. She is my Galentine.

Who is your Galentine?

No comments:

Post a Comment